Exotic Wine Travel
Welcome to Exotic Wine Travel, a platform to promote wine culture and lesser-known, unique wines. It is intended for anyone who enjoys wine, wants to learn more about wine, and is open to trying different wines. From casual wine drinkers to even sommeliers and wine educators, there’s something for you as long as you have an open mind and an adventurous palate.
- For the uninitiated, we want to break down the barriers and misperceptions that prevent you from exploring and enjoying wine. So that the next time you go into a wine shop or order wine at a restaurant, you’ll feel like you know what you’re doing and you’ll be able to create some great memories with your favorite people over wine.
- For casual wine drinkers, we want to encourage you to try different wines and expand your palate. After all, how can you claim to have a favorite wine if you know only a few?
- For wine enthusiasts, we want to inspire the ways you discover and enjoy wine. A huge part of the pleasure we take in wine is discovering new things–such as under-the-radar wine regions, grape varieties and producers–and sharing them with people. On this website, you’ll find and read about these interesting finds so you too can join us in the journey of constant learning and discovering the wine world.
- For seasoned wine lovers and industry experts, you’ll find tasting notes on wines from unchartered territories so that you can enjoy a good bottle while on the road, without having to waste time on research and suffer through the bad stuff.
- For people who have had spent many years exploring and now feel adamant about their wine preferences: we have nothing to offer you, sorry!
Of course, this website is ultimately about savoring wine. We’ll do just that and invite you to join us by tasting the wines we review and sharing your own wine experiences.
Who We Are… In Short, Full-Time Wine Travelers
Hi! We are Matthew and Charine. We are authors, writers, speakers, marketers, travelers, and wine geeks. In 2015, we left Singapore and began our location-independent lifestyle. The transition is summarized HERE and HERE. While traveling through the wine regions in Europe and the Caucasus, we experienced several obstacles during preparation and the actual trips, which in turn compelled us to turn our passion for wine into a creative force for good.
We welcome you to join us as we take an in-depth look at travel and wine in Armenia, Baja California, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Turkey.
Author | Speaker | Wine Geek
Dr. Matthew Horkey is the co-founder of Exotic Wine Travel and the author of Travel Learn Earn: Let the World Be Your Guide to Freedom as well as Uncorking the Caucasus: Wine from Turkey, Armenia, and Georgia. Besides his books, he has also written for several trade magazines and peer-reviewed publications. His wine writing has appeared on JancisRobinson.com and Wine Folly. An experienced public speaker, he’s been a guest speaker at the American University of Rome, Life University, and various companies including Microsoft, TripAdvisor, Norton Rose, and JP Morgan. Dr. Horkey is passionate about learning and trying traditional and unique wines, sharing information with people, and turning them on to wine. He does that now predominantly via the Exotic Wine Travel Youtube Channel. He is currently enrolled in the WSET Advanced Certification Course (Level 3).
Researcher | Marketer | Brand Strategist